Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Hungry Bee


Last winter, very late in the afternoon, I encountered a lone bee on my steps. It was getting chilly, and being aware of how far away the beehives are, I figured she might have been too tired to make it home. There wasn't much blooming in the garden.


So I got this idea in my head that some honey might help her. I went inside and dipped a toothpick into a jar of (yes, organic local unfiltered) honey and set it in front of her. It worked. She drank for quite a while.



Then she wandered over to the edge of the stairs, and later she was gone.

I imagine after she got back to the hive, she started a religion.

5 comments:

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

What a good soul you are! I am sure that bee was most appreciative!

Deborah Verhoeven said...

Thanks. I hope she was.

Susan said...

That is soooo sweet!

Unknown said...

That's so nice of you, the thought would never have crossed my mind. Here we are all a bit annoyed/scared of bees and wasps, there isn't much love for them unfortunately. Thanks for sharing :)

Deborah Verhoeven said...

Thanks, Gra. I'm more scared of wasps than bees. Bees die when they sting, so unless you are threatening their hive, they would rather fly away than sting you.